“Forgiveness is a medicine”, as Tanmoy Goswami puts it succinctly in a faith-in-humanity-restoring piece for The Correspondent. He tells the story of people who were part of a program aiming to help them forgive “the perpetrators of horrific crimes”.
The program itself involves 9 steps, intended to reframe and refocus the intense feelings of victimization and search for reconciliation towards empowerment and positive outcomes.
- “Telling your story to a small set of people you trust
- Committing to forgiveness
- Understanding that forgiveness isn’t necessarily about reconciliation
- Identifying the real source of your distress
- Learning stress management
- Abandoning unreasonable expectations from others
- Refocusing your energy on positive outcomes rather than the feeling of hurt
- Realising that forgiveness is about personal empowerment, and
- Positively reframing your grievance story.”
Read the full article here: https://thecorrespondent.com/164/science-shows-forgiveness-really-is-a-medicine/2197916028-64f2a555.
My best wishes for a peaceful day ahead.